Suggested features, fixes and/or bloat for blackbox
I couldn't find a list of blackbox suggestions, so I decided to make one.
Some of the comments were copied verbatim from the mailing list.
Also below is the TODO list from the developer.
These are not all my ideas or preferences; in fact, some I don't agree with.
Please note that some people don't want any features added to blackbox -- their
goals are to have a minimal blackbox. Others want a fast
but useful window manager.
The ideas ...
- a menu that shows "All Windows" (open or iconized and maybe
- access root (main) menu from taskbar
- option to disable rootCommand so user can prevent malicious rootCommands
from being executed. (Patch available; patch also includes a RootImage style
directive so designers can select a root image to display.)
- add an [shexec] menu option. This [shexec]
behaves like the current [exec]. The new (with patch) [exec] now doesn't
exec "sh -c". This is to get rid of the unnecessary "sh -c" processes.
- add keybindings back to blackbox:
bindings are ctrl-arrows to change
workspaces and alt-tab/alt-shift-tab to cycle windows. (Patch available)
- use blackbox without a mouse (open menus and browse menus with keys)
- have some
application or configuration file that allows me to move the decorations
around. On my BB, it is set up to have only one titlebar decoration: the exit
button, and it is on the LEFT side of the titlebar.
- toolbar be able to swallow (like slit) bb apps (like bbweather)
Some patches are available via
Bugs / Issues
- bbkeys stops functioning until a window or something gets focus
- bb crashes (dumps core) when changing workspaces quickly
- The focus lost when I change to a new workspace and the "Focus on Last
Window" is not set. The originally focused window should take the focus IMHO.
- The submenu popup positions are confusing after reaching the right
edge of the screen
- The root menu is not accessible when a window is maximized
- The window snap to edge ignores the toolbar and the slit (feature?
don't think so) not mentioning other window borders.
- The stay-on-top feature is missing for the windows (ok. not bug, but
something that should be developed)
- The click-to-focus fails on window interior when a lock key is on.
- "Blackbox is broke WRT windows that have decorations removed from them."
" (For example, alt+click doesn't work to move a window.)
As posted by the developer Jeff Raven to the blackbox list:
move select key bindings back into blackbox, and add key
bindings to pop up root and workspace menus (they will only
be key-navigable when popped up by a key binding)
phase out blackbox protocol and implement NET WM
ponder the whole rootCommand issue... my problem with the
existing patch is that it doesn't let the _style_ to specify
whether the image should be tiled, scaled, etc. If we force
everything to go through bsetbg this can be avoided, though.
(Since the rootImage could then be '-full whatzit.png'.)
ponder ALT+RIGHT_CLICK resizing with multiple zones (2? 4?)
add more tilde expansion of filenames (trivial)
add Xinerama support
Mon Nov 19 10:43:50 PST 2001