Beginning Boy Scouts
Order the Beginning Boy Scouts book from Amazon or your favorite book store. It is also available as a digital eBook for the Nook and Kindle. Please contact us for lower-cost bulk orders for troops and stores.
This book introduces the Boy Scouts of America program for parents and new adult leaders. It is an unofficial introduction to Boy Scouting to help parents, new leaders, and even scouting youth to better understand scouting goals and participate in Boy Scouting. It quickly answers numerous common questions and provides instruction and advice for concerned and desperate parents and leaders — to help know "what is first?" and how to get started, preparing for outdoor activities and summer camp, uniforms, leadership and the Patrol method, earning awards and badges, Eagle planning, how to participate, and a lot more. It introduces the terminology and defines the common scouting lingo.
The purpose of this book is not to replace official Boy Scouts of America materials or training -— we encourage leaders to attend and complete official training. In addition to the sage advice for new and experienced parents and scoutmasters, this book includes references to point the parents and leaders to other instruction.
This book is short and sweet — designed to be quickly read once to understand the purpose and structure of the Boy Scout program and set goals and milestones — and then used as a reminder guide to evaluate progress to help you and your boys achieve success. The authors of this book — a Boy Scout as a youth and adult and parents of Boy Scouts — share real-world experiences and provide practical advice for scouting as a character-builder for boys and as a lifelong activity.
- Price: US$11.95
- ISBN: 978-1-937516-01-7
- Pages: 150 (paperback)
- Publishing Date: September 2011
- Book dimensions: 6 x 9 inches
Table of Contents
- Getting Started
- The Patrol Method
- Adult Leadership
- Meetings, Activities, and Administrivia
- The Uniform and Scout Supplies
- Rank Advancements
- Merit Badges
- Other Awards, Achievements, and Recognitions
- Setting Goals and Keeping Track
- Camping and Outdoor Activities
- Summer Camps, High Adventures, and Special Events
- Earning the Eagle
Subject Matter Experts
Our technical reviewers and subject matter experts included: Unit Commissioners, Scoutmasters, parents of Eagle Scouts, Unit Committee Chairs, Committee Chair for Jamboree troops, District Camping Chair, Chartering Organization Representatives, District Webmaster, Assistant Scoutmasters, District Commissioners, Assistant Council Commissioner, Eagle Scouts, Camp Staffers, Commissioner Staff, Explorer Post Advisors, District Committee members, professional Senior District Executive, Venturing Crew pioneer, Troop Advancement Chair, Webelos to Scout Transition Chair, and more.
Reviews and Reader's Comments:
- "... easy to read explanation ... a wealth of information for those just starting out."
- "This unofficial guide to Boy Scouting will leave its readers prepared and informed to navigate the Scouting program ..."
- "If you find the program confusing at times, this book can help set you straight."
- "Overall impressions: very good! Would be a particularly good resource to new to scouting parents, as a resource to helping them transition their boy to Boy Scouts, finding a troop, and getting used to 'Boy Scouting'."
- "If you know somebody who is new to the Boy Scout program, then this would be a great resource to give them an overview of the program."
- "I think it is a good resource that 'noobs' can use when they get baptised into Scouting!!"
- "I think this would be a good resource ... especially useful to parents."
- "I congratulate you for recognizing the need for this book and pulling together the resources to produce it."
- "I would highly recommend this book ... I am really glad we will have this on our shelf as our boys go through Boy Scouts."
- "At first glance it looks extremely helpful."
- "If we, the adult volunteers/ volun-tolds would simply pick up the plan and use it, we'd free ourselves up from wheel-inventing. This book will help with exactly that."
- "Overall the book is good and could be a good resource for parents and scouts."
- "... if folks read this book, then went to their unit, they would have some expectations that should raise the bar in their units." (group access needed)
- "Looks good. ... The book is very thorough. Job well done."
If you've enjoyed Beginning Boy Scouts, could you please take 30 seconds to leave a short review at Amazon?
The publisher welcomes feedback. If you have any suggestions or comments about the book or would like to report an error, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We plan to publish a Beginning Cub Scouts book in 2012.
BEGINNING BOY SCOUTS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL PUBLICATION OF THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA. THIS PRODUCT IS NOT ENDORSED OR SPONSORED BY THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA. 50 MILER, BE PREPARED, BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA, BOY'S LIFE, BSA, CUB SCOUTS, JAMBOREE, MERIT BADGE, NATIONAL EAGLE SCOUT ASSOCIATION, ORDER OF THE ARROW, PHILMONT, SCOUTING, SCOUTMASTER, SCOUT SHOP, VARSITY SCOUT, VENTURE, VENTURING, AND WOOD BADGE ARE REGISTERED TRADEMARKS OF THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA.
Order the Beginning Boy Scouts book from Amazon or your favorite book store. Please contact us for lower-cost bulk orders for troops and stores.
Please help us market our book on Facebook by liking our